St. Francis School Cospicua is run by the Franciscan Sisters of the Heart of Jesus. It is the largest one of the three Primary Schools run by the same sisters in the Maltese Islands. The Congregation was founded in 1876, by the Founder Rev. Fr. Joseph Diacono, who came up with the idea, and Rev. Mother Margherita De Brincat, who was instrumental in implementing the idea. Her hard and faithful work resulted in the expansion of the same Congregation around the world.
St. Francis School – Cospicua is situated in the southern part of Malta. Being a Church School it is heavily subsidized by the State, following a formal agreement with the Catholic Church which provides its own buildings and facilities.
While satisfying the requirements of the National Minimum Curriculum, it caters for 485 boys and girls between the age of five and eleven. These children would have been drawn by ballot at the Curia forming part of the Directorate of Services in Education Secretarial for Catholic Education, and attended Kindergarten and Pre-Grade classes at various St. Francis Kindergartens situated around the island. At Year 6 Level, they sit for the Benchmark Examination run by the Education Department. If the boys opt to carry on their secondary education in a church school they are extracted by ballot. On the other hand, if girls opt to carry on their secondary education in a church school and are attending the Cospicua Primary School, can finish their secondary education at St. Francis Secondary School in Sliema.
St. Francis Kindergarten schools of Luqa, Siggiewi and St. Lucia also form part of the St. Francis Primary School in Cospicua. These schools are also run by the Franciscan Sister of the Heart of Jesus.
Click here for further information with regards to the school.